Home » news »

Patient scarred for life after a botched operation left him with severe burns on his buttocks

 

Scarred for life by a botched NHS op: Man, 43, sues hospital after being left with severe burns on his buttocks and thighs from a freak accident involving banned heated mattress

  • Paul Hickman, 43, from Walsall, was burned during a routine NHS surgery 
  • Surgeons at the Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley gave him a heat mattress
  • The mattresses were banned after an identical incident five years before 

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

<!–

(function (src, d, tag){
var s = d.createElement(tag), prev = d.getElementsByTagName(tag)[0];
s.src = src;
prev.parentNode.insertBefore(s, prev);
}(“https://www.dailymail.co.uk/static/gunther/1.17.0/async_bundle–.js”, document, “script”));

<!–

DM.loadCSS(“https://www.dailymail.co.uk/static/gunther/gunther-2159/video_bundle–.css”);

<!–

A man has been left with lifelong scars on his buttocks after suffering severe burns during an NHS operation.

Paul Hickman, 43, of Walsall in the West Midlands, was injured while having surgery to improve circulation in his legs in March 2021.  

He was placed on a heated mattress – despite the equipment being banned by the hospital in 2016 after a similar incident.

Before the procedure, doctors at the Russells Hall Hospital applied an alcohol-based antiseptic on Mr Hickman’s thighs and buttocks.  

Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital, carried out an internal investigation and found: ‘The unusual combination created the ideal circumstances to create a significant burn.’ 

Mr Hickman has now decided to take legal action against the hospital after learning another patient had gone through the same ordeal five years earlier.

Paul Hickman, 43, from Walsall in the West Midlands, has been left with lifelong scars on his legs buttocks after a botched surgery caused horrific burns on his backside (pictured) Paul Hickman, 43, from Walsall in the West Midlands, has been left with lifelong scars on his legs buttocks after a botched surgery caused horrific burns on his backside (pictured) He said he now sits differently and has to lean to the side now because of the scars, which feel dry and scaly and require him to apply cream He said he now sits differently and has to lean to the side now because of the scars, which feel dry and scaly and require him to apply cream

Paul Hickman (right), 43, from Walsall in the West Midlands, has been left with lifelong scars on his legs buttocks after a botched surgery caused horrific burns on his backside (left)

After suffering from extreme pain from the surgery, Mr Hickman was told he had been burnt and would have scars for life After suffering from extreme pain from the surgery, Mr Hickman was told he had been burnt and would have scars for life

After suffering from extreme pain from the surgery, Mr Hickman was told he had been burnt and would have scars for life

He said: ‘It was a very worrying time and I obviously hoped that the surgery would go well. However, afterwards I remember just being in a lot of pain.

‘When I was told that I had suffered burns, I was shocked and confused. I couldn’t understand how that had happened.

‘The pain from the burns and scars I had all down the back of the tops of my legs was unbearable. I was in so much pain and painkillers didn’t really take the edge off.

‘While the burns are starting to heal, I still have a lot of marks and scars where they have been and I’ve been told some of the scarring won’t disappear so will be with me for life.’

He claims he now sits differently and has to lean to the side now because of the scars, which feel dry and scaly and require him to apply cream every day. 

Mr Hickman added: ‘What makes what happened to me even more shocking is hearing about the previous incident.

‘I hope by speaking out I can help prevent yet another similar incident happening. This has happened twice and I don’t want it to happen again.’

During the operation at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley (pictured), he was given a heat mattress — which was banned by the hospital after an identical incident five years earlier During the operation at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley (pictured), he was given a heat mattress — which was banned by the hospital after an identical incident five years earlier

During the operation at Russells Hall Hospital in Dudley (pictured), he was given a heat mattress — which was banned by the hospital after an identical incident five years earlier

A root cause analysis report by the Dudley NHS trust classed what happened to Mr Hickman as a ‘major incident’.

The Trust found the use of alcohol-based solution during preparation for his surgery and the ‘inappropriate use’ of a heated mattress in surgery led to his burns. 

The investigation also revealed the use of heated mattresses was banned following an identical incident in 2016.

It said the earlier incident led to the ‘complete stopping’ of heated mattresses being used in certain vascular procedures.

Alexandra Roberts, the solicitor at Irwin Mitchell representing Mr Hickman, said: ‘The severity of the injuries Paul suffered needs to be acknowledged, with the Trust itself declaring what happened as a major incident.

‘Understandably what happened to Paul has had a physical and mental impact upon him.

‘What is particularly worrying is that the injuries he suffered came after a fellow patient was injured in a similar incident and the Trust had taken measures to apparently avoid a repeat of this happening.

‘While it’s too late for Paul it is now vital that lessons are learned from what happened to Paul and that the Trust ensures its guidance is upheld at all times to maintain patient safety.’

Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust has been approached for comment. 

Comments

Share what you think

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

Close

Close

We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.

You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.

 

Related Posts

  • No Related Posts